Most recipes on my site are from various sources, including allrecipes.com, taste of home and other magazines, and cookbooks. Some have been adapted.

Jalapeno Pepper Freezer Jelly


Ingredients:
Fresh jalapeno peppers (enough to make 2/3 cup chopped-I used 4 large-ish ones)
1-1/3 cups bottled apple juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 cups sugar (no more, no less)
1 envelope of Certo liquid pectin (I did not try it with powdered)

Wearing rubber gloves, remove seeds from peppers and chop finely. I used a tupperware chopper that you twist back and forth-it worked perfectly. Measure 2/3 cup of chopped peppers. A little extra won't hurt.

Place chopped peppers in a 6-8 qt pan. Add juice and apple cider vinegar. Add 4 cups of sugar and stir well. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. When it comes to a rolling boil (that can't be stirred down) add the pectin. Stir well and return to a boil. When it comes back to a rolling boil, boil and stir for 1 minute and remove from heat. Ladle into clean freezer-safe jars and put lids on.

After about 20-30 minutes shake the jars a little to distribute the chopped peppers. I let them cool a little more and then put them right in the freezer. These should keep about 3 weeks in the refrigerator and about 1 year in the freezer.

note: this is a combination of the quick and cooked recipes from the certo package. I didn't have enough peppers to make the cooked recipe as it was written, but I didn't want the raw pepper taste or softer set so I didn't want to make the uncooked recipe. So I used the uncooked recipe ingredients and cooked it. It came out with a very firm set (but still easy to spread on crackers), which I like. If you prefer a softer set use the recipe for the cooked pepper jelly in the certo pectin package insert. Don't substitute any ingredients or your jelly may not come out right. Commercial pectin can be very finicky.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

You packaged these so cute.
I like mine on crackers with a bit of cream cheese ;)

jimlynn said...

Gotta try this! I've never heard of using apple juice in the jelly! Thanks a million......now I need to check out more of your recipes!
Lynn